In order for your physician to get the most accurate information from the small bowel capsule endoscopy test, you will need to follow the instructions listed below.
It is our desire that you have the best experience possible. Please read these instructions completely and thoroughly; in so doing, you will contribute to a much more satisfying outcome. If you have any questions about these instructions, please contact The Corvallis Clinic Gastroenterology department at: (541) 754-1988 during normal business hours.
I. Four Days BEFORE the Capsule Endoscopy
a. Stop taking iron tablets or vitamins containing iron 4 days before your study.
II. The Day BEFORE the Capsule Endoscopy
a. Do not eat solid foods after 12 noon.
b. Clear Liquids Only!!!! Clear liquids are liquids that you can see through. Examples are
water, apple juice, 7-up, Gatorade, light colored Jell-O, soup made from chicken or beef
bouillon. Coffee and tea are OK to drink, but do not add any creamer/milk.
c. Avoid any red, orange, purple, green, or blue colored drinks; this can cause misleading
results (IE: mistaken for bleeding). You may drink yellow or clear liquids.
d. Oral medications for diabetes should be skipped the day before and the day of the study.
e. Patients on insulin should take half the normal dose the day before the capsule endoscopy
and return to a normal dose after the study is completed.
III. The Day OF the Capsule Endoscopy
a. Nothing by mouth the morning of the study—this includes any medications you may
take (these can be taken later in the day when it is ok to have fluids and food).
b. Wear a separate top and bottom garment. Avoid wearing a dress or a one piece suit the
day of the procedure. It is best to wear loose fitting clothing.
In our office, you will have either a large abdominal belt fitted around your abdomen, or adhesive sensor pads will be applied to your abdomen. These will be connected to a data recorder which is worn on an over the shoulder bag. You will then be instructed to swallow the capsule.
1. After swallowing the capsule, do not drink anything for 2 hours.
2. After 4 hours you may have a light snack.
3. After swallowing the capsule and until it is excreted, you should not be near any source of powerful electromagnetic field, such as one created near an MRI device or amateur (ham) radio. Occasionally, some images may be lost due to radio interference. On rare occasions, this can result in the need to repeat the study.
4. During the study, avoid any strenuous physical activity. Do not bend or stoop during the study.
5. Do not remove the belt at any time during the study.
6. Every 15 minutes you will need to verify that the light on top of the recorder is still blinking. If for some reason it stops, record the time and contact our office at: 541-754-1988.
7. The capsule endoscopy will last 8 hours; at the end of 8 hours you will return to the office and we will disconnect the data recorder, belt, and/or sensor pads.
8. Upon completion of the study, you may return to a normal diet.
You will also need to record the time and nature of any events such as eating, drinking, and any unusual sensations. Please use the pre-printed form attached to these instructions to record observations, and bring these notes with you to our office at the time you return the equipment.
IMPORTANT: The data recorder holds the images of the study. Handle it and all other equipment carefully. Do not expose the equipment to shock, vibration, or direct sunlight—this may result in the loss of information.
The capsule is disposable and will be excreted naturally in your bowel movement.
CONTACT THE OFFICE IMMEDIATELY AT 541-754-1988 IF YOU HAVE ANY ABDOMINAL PAIN, NAUSEA or VOMITING AFTER SWALLOWING THE CAPSULE.