“Surgery offers a unique approach to many problems that cannot solely be treated with conservative measures.”
Dr. Bombeck has special interests in advanced laparoscopic operations, in addition to more common procedures such as hernia repair, gallbladder removal, colonoscopy and varicose vein ablation. He is also a Surgical Oncologist, treating colon, breast, thyroid and skin cancers.
Language(s) - English
Drawn to medicine so he could help other people, Dr. Bombeck became a surgeon “because it offers a hands-on approach to dealing with illness.”
A retired Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army, he served as a trauma surgeon across Europe and in Afghanistan. In his spare time, Dr. Bombeck enjoys playing golf and snow skiing, as well as enjoying the outdoors with his wife and their three daughters.
3680 NW Samaritan Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330
601 NW Elks Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330
University of Pittsburgh, NIH Fellowship in Molecular Biology, 1999
University of California, San Francisco-East Bay, Oakland, CA, 2001
Doctor of Medicine, University of Illinois, 1994
The Corvallis Clinic, 2001 to Present
American Board of Surgery; Fellow, American College of Surgeons
Dr. Bombeck’s NIH Research Fellowship in Molecular Biology was conducted at the University of Pittsburgh for the investigation of hepatic apoptosis in response to various inflammatory mediators; he has published several book chapters and journal articles on the subject.
1. Bombeck CA, Li JR, Billiar TR. Reactive Oxygen Species, Nitric Oxide and Apoptosis. In: Free Radicals and Inflammation, Ed Winyard PG, Blake DR, and Evans CH. 1999 Birkhauser Verlag, Basel, Switzerland, pp 207-219.
2. Bombeck CA, Ganster RW, Green A, Ou J, Billiar TR. The Role of NF-kB In Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha Mediated Hepatocyte Toxicity. Surgical Forum 1999;19-20
3. Bombeck CA, Billiar TR. The Involvement of Apoptosis in Inflammatory Liver Failure. Sepsis 1998;2:39-45
4. Bombeck CA, Li JR, Kim YM, Billiar TR. The Protective Role of Nitric Oxide in Hepatocytes During Responses to Inflammatory Mediators and Induction of Apoptosis. In: Hepatocyte Review, Ed M. Berry. 1999 Kluwer Dordrecht, Netherlands, pp 270-281.
5. Bombeck CA, Barret J. Diagnostic Peritoneal Lavage in the Evaluation of Blunt Abdominal Trauma. 1994 (abstract).
6. Li JR, Bombeck CA, et al. Nitric Oxide Suppresses Apoptosis via Interrupting Caspase Activation and Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Cultured Hepatocytes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 1999;274:17325-17333.
- 7. Kim YM, Bombeck CA, Billiar TR. Nitric Oxide as a Bifunctional Regulator of Apoptosis. Circulation Research 1999;84:253-256.
1. The War in Afghanistan: A Surgeon’s Perspective, 2004 Good Samaritan Hospital, Corvallis, OR.
2. The Role of NF-kB in TNF-alpha Mediated Toxicity, 1999 American College of Surgeons; Forum, San Francisco, Ca.
3. Changes in Mitochondrial Transmembrane Potential Accompany Apoptosis in an In-Vivo Model of Fulminant Hepatic Failure, 1998 Association for Academic Surgery, Seattle, Wa.
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on the Patient Satisfaction Survey.
About Survey Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Comments From Patients
If a colonoscopy can be a good experience, mine was as good as it could be. Dr Bombeck has done several procedures for my husband and me, we have great confidence in his expertise.
Thank you for your work
Very pleasant, friendly and courteous!!
Very thorough and caring
Outstanding service and care!
Click on the appropriate link below to enter your provider’s telemedicine waiting room for your scheduled appointment.
Doxy.me Telemedicine Waiting Room