People spend most of their awake hours on the job. So, the workplace culture has a strong impact on an employee’s health and well being. When employers offer programs to support employee wellness, they report substantial positive results
Here are some other ways to promote a healthy workplace:
- Encourage employees to be more active each day! Provide support to staff to use scheduled breaks or lunchtime to walk or be physically active.
- Suggest a “walking meeting” when meeting one-on-one with a staff member or small employee workgroup.
- Use staff meetings and other regular communication venues, such as bulletin boards and newsletters, to promote ways to improve employee health, safety and fitness.
- Ensure that healthy food and beverage choices are available for meetings and catered events.
- Model healthful behaviors. Leadership is the key to an effective worksite wellness program.
- Offer incentives to employees who are following their doctor’s orders and are maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
I welcome hearing about specific programs that have been successful at your workplace.