• 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
• 1 1/2 cups warm water
• 3 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 cup chopped carrots
• 1/2 cup chopped celery
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 (8-oz.) pkg. tempeh, crumbled
• 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 5 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes
• 1 cup whole milk
• 1/2 cup dry red wine
• 1 (2-in.) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
• 2 oz. cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
• 1 1/2 pounds uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
How to Make It
Toast fennel seeds, red pepper, and bay leaves in a skillet over medium for 2 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant. Cool 10 minutes. Transfer to a spice mill (or mortar and pestle); finely grind. Set aside.
Place porcini mushrooms and 1 1/2 cups warm water in a bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup soaking liquid. Finely chop mushrooms; set aside.
Pulse shiitake mushrooms, onion, carrots, and celery in a food processor until finely chopped, 10 to 12 times.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium. Add tempeh; cook 5 minutes or until golden. Add shiitake mixture, salt, and pepper; cook 10 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ground spices, and chopped porcinis; cook 5 minutes or until mixed well.
Pulse tomatoes in a food processor until finely chopped, 8 to 10 times.
Stir chopped tomatoes, milk, wine, cheese rind, oregano, basil, sugar, and reserved 1/2 cup porcini soaking liquid into tempeh mixture in Dutch oven. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Remove cheese rind; stir in grated cheese.
Cook spaghetti per package directions. Toss with butter to coat; serve with Bolognese; garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Calories 353 Fat 10g Satfat 3g Unsat 6g Protein 16g Carbohydrates 53g Fiber 7g Sugars 6g Added sugars 0g Sodium 475mg Calcium 14% DV Potassium 14% DV
Source: Cooking Light